Today we are sharing a sweet rice Recipe called Kaanika (in odia). The Yellowish Bright Color of Kanika itself is comes out from Authentic Turmeric Powder . You can use Meera Spices Agmark Certified Turmeric Powder to get the best Results.
The Main ingredients used to make it are fragrant rice, ghee, raisins, cashews, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves,bay leaf, sugar, salt and turmeric (use Agmark standard best quality Meera Turmeric Powder for authentic color and taste)
Checkout the Most Famous Top 10 Odia Spices
Kanika (Odia: କାନିକା) is an aromatic yellowish sweet rice dish. which is an Odia recipe traditionally prepared during festivals like Makar Shankranti, Mana basa Gurubar and pujas.
Kanika is one of the cooked items of the 56 dishes /Chappan Bhoga in the Jagannath Temple. prepared as part of Mahaprasadaw.
Kanika was traditionally served in Odia weddings or picnics but has largely been replaced by pulao and biryani. In West Bengal a similar dish known as misthi pulao is prepared during marriages or ceremonies which is relished with mutton curry. Kanika has a stronger flavor than misthi pulao and can be eaten with dalma or mutton curry or as dessert at the end of a meal. (source - Wikipedia)
Ingredients to make Kaanika / Misthi Pulao
- 2 cups Aromatic / basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 150 gms cow ghee/ Amul Cow ghee
- 100 gms sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- few cashews nut almonds
- 2/3 cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 pinch salt
Step By Step - How to Make Kanika / Misthi Pulao:
- Wash the rice several times to get a clean water soaked rice.
- Drain the Rice
- In a Simmered heat kadai/ deep bottomed pot put the Cow ghee
- Add the Bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves
- Add the dry fruits and fry for a 2 - 3 Minutes
- Pour the cleaned rice and fry for 7/8 minutes in low flame/ Simmer heat
- Add Turmeric Powder to the Rice
- Now slowly add the sugar and water to it and increase the heat to high and Stir a bit .
- Let the rice boil for 5 to 6 minutes
- Then reduce the heat to low-medium and cover the pot.
- Stir in between to avoid Rice get burned.
- Cook the rice covered in low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stop or Close the Stove/Gas and lets keep the Kaanika for atleast 3-4 minutes .
- Serve Kaanika with Dalma/ Curry and have the delicious Misthi Pulao .
You can also Check the Preparation of Kaanika in the Shared Youtube Video Below. Thanks to Su's Food Corner Channel